Renting Guide


Finding the right property for you

Whoever you’re planning to rent from, these are the fundamental renting basics that you need to know.

What’s included?

Make sure you commit to a rent you can afford - don’t forget to account for utilities bills, council tax, internet etc. Unless otherwise stated, your council tax and bills won’t be covered by your rent.

What checks do I need to pass?

Storeys operate thorough checks on all of our tenants – we want you to be the right fit for the property you rent. You’ll need to pass a credit check, residential history check and provide employment references (3 yrs). If you don’t pass some of the checks, or have limited credit history, then you may need to pay additional rent in advance or have a UK guarantor.

I’m an overseas student without a UK guarantor

You can still rent with Storeys. You may need to make an up-front rent payment of 6 – 12 months or use our recommended company guarantor for students. Just ask for more info.

What if I have a pet?

Not all landlords will love Fido or Fluffy – pets can do damage and cause nuisance to neighbours. However, if you have good references from previous landlords, plus an additional deposit of 2-3 weeks extra rent to cover any damage from paws or claws, your landlord may agree.

How much does it cost to secure the property?

You’ll be asked to pay a holding fee (fee of intent), equivalent to 1 weeks rent plus your referencing costs. This removes the property from the market while we obtain references, subject to contract. When you move in, the holding deposit is deducted from your first month’s rent.

Is my tenancy agreement with the landlord or letting agent?

Always the landlord. A letting agent might be managing property – and so your first point of contact – but the landlord remains the legal contracting party. An agent who moves you in won’t necessarily be managing the property ongoing – make sure you know who is doing what.

Does the letting agent work for me?

Letting agents should treat you fairly but are working in the best interests of the landlord.

What is a holding fee vs. a security deposit?

The holding fee secures the property for maximum of 1 weeks whilst references are being obtained. The security deposit goes towards any potential damage or repairs or unpaid rent owed at the tenancy ends, subject to agreement. Landlords are legally obliged to protect security deposits, either by paying them into a custodial Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme, or using an insurance based scheme.

How do I get my deposit back when I leave?

At the end of the tenancy, a check out and inventory will identify any damage to pay for (if applicable). Once that is agreed, your deposit is paid back to you, minus any agreed deductions.

What’s an Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

Most residential tenancies will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, 12 – 36 months in length. This is an industry standard contract that can be amended to reflect agreement between landlord and tenant, for example allowing pets or providing a break clause.

We’re in a shared property, can we pay rent individually?

If you have one contract for 4 tenants sharing a property it’s a good idea to open a rent account between you and all pay into each month, however we understand that this is not always possible. Storeys have you covered, we have the technology to identify individual rent payments to allow to you pay separately making life that little bit easier when you first move in.

Do I have to let the landlord in once I’ve moved in?

The landlord will officially need to you give you a minimum of 24 hours’ notice in writing if they intend to enter the property but if it’s not convenient you can just say so. Inspections are necessary to ensure the property is being well maintained and to make sure small repairs don’t become bigger issues that affect your stay. The best tenant and landlord/agent relationships are those where there is some give and take on both sides.

What do I do if I need to leave?

Contact Storeys immediately if you think you may need to break your contract early and we can advise you on the best options to suit your needs.

Before you can vacate the property, you must give notice. This should be:

  • In writing
  • As per your tenancy agreement (usually 2 months notice is required)

If you don’t give proper notice you may still be liable for rent, even if you are no longer living at the property.

What is a break clause?

A break clause allows either the landlord or tenant to end the agreement early in writing, usually 6 months before the end of the tenancy. Without this you will need to wait until the end of the tenancy to move out, unless your landlord agrees to another tenant replacing you which Storeys are happy to assist with.

Can I have guests?

Yes of course you can. Having a friend stay over night is fine but everyone living at the property should be named on the tenancy. If anyone is staying for longer than 2 weeks then you must inform the landlord in writing and seek permission before doing so. Otherwise you may be breaching the terms of the tenancy agreement by ‘subletting.’